Nurse Extern PRN
Company: Central Florida Regional Hospital
Posted on: October 10, 2020
SCHEDULE: PRN/Per Diem
Central Florida Regional Hospital, a 221-bed acute care hospital
and Level II Trauma Center, serves the communities of Seminole and
west Volusia counties. The hospital provides the only full-service
cardiovascular program in Seminole and west Volusia, including open
heart surgery, interventional cardiology, electrophysiology,
cardiac rehabilitation and comprehensive diagnostic services. Other
specialized services include orthopedic and spine care, robotic
surgery, acute inpatient medical rehabilitation, complete imaging
services and The Baby Suites. Central Florida Regional Hospital is
located 3.6 miles east of I-4 between S.R. 46 and Highway 17-92 in
Sanford. The hospital provides 24/7 emergency care at its main
location as well as at Heathrow ER located at 4525 International
Parkway in Sanford. For more information, please visit
Central Florida Regional Hospital is currently seeking a Nurse
Extern to join our team. This position will be Full-time and will
have rotating weekend requirements.
The Nurse Extern delivers high quality, patient-centered care by
performing a variety of delegated basic patient care services
related to common nursing functions and activities of daily living.
Under the supervision of the registered nurse (RN), the Nurse
Extern assists the nursing staff in providing patient care in
accordance with the Nurse Extern's skills/training and the needs of
the Department, and consistently assists the patient care team with
maintaining a clean, well-organized, and safe patient care
environment. The Nurse Extern is currently enrolled and in good
standing in an accredited school of nursing and can perform
higher-level procedures once competency is achieved.
* Participates in the implementation of nursing care plans by
performing direct and indirect patient care under the supervision
of the licensed nurse.
* Obtains and records initial and ongoing patient information
throughout the cycle of care, including admissions data, vital
signs, height and weight, blood pressure, oxygen saturation, blood
glucose levels, intake and output, and calorie counts.
* Documents observations, interactions, patient responses to
performed activities, and any physical or behavioral changes at
time of occurrence. Reports observations of individual patients to
the RN/Team Leader.
* Assists with mobility by regular turning and positioning,
dangling, and ambulating patients. Assists with use of walkers,
crutches, canes, and wheelchairs. Transfers patients to and from
other units, departments, or entities. Assists with discharges.
Demonstrates proper body mechanics.
* Provides or assists with non-medicated support care, including
non-sterile dressing changes, skin protection, application of heat
or ice, oxygen delivery, and venous compression devices.
* Performs non-medicated support tasks, including oral suctioning,
enema, catheterization and foley catheter removal, drain
maintenance, and basic wound care. Increases variety and difficulty
of tasks as competency is verified through nursing program.
* Obtains or assists in the collection of specimens for diagnostic
or waived tests. Ensures accuracy of all labels and timely transfer
* Retrieves medication from pharmacy, storage room, or tube system
and delivers to licensed staff member as instructed.
* Assists with patient preparation for surgery or other
* Assists patients with activities of daily living to include
eating and drinking, bathing, shaving, oral care, grooming, and
elimination. Changes bed linens as needed.
* Performs hourly rounding and responds promptly to call lights and
patient requests. Strives to anticipate patient needs and resolve
* Follows patient and employee safety/security policies and
protocols, including hand hygiene, use of universal precautions,
use of personal protective equipment, and adherence to isolation
* Prepares and maintains clean, hazard-free patient rooms. Empties
trash and removes soiled linens.
* Assists with patient/family/caregiver learning needs, abilities
and readiness to learn. Identifies barriers to learning, such as
language or culture. Integrates this information into the patient's
plan of care.
* Translates complex medical terminology to ensure
patients/families/caregivers understand patient medical condition,
patient status, treatment plan, medications and possible side
effects, and follow-up measures.
* Educates patients/families/caregivers on healthy diet and
exercise, disease prevention, and/or lifestyle changes that may be
needed once a patient leaves the hospital. Prepares patients and
families/caregivers for future self-management.
* Provides teaching material as needed (pamphlets, video, etc.) to
enhance understanding. Documents each teaching episode.
* Assists with post-mortem care.
* Assists in the setup, removal, and cleaning of equipment.
Identifies malfunctioning equipment and initiates repairs.
* Performs clerical work as needed, including greeting customers,
filing, answering and transferring phones, and relaying
* Prepares and maintains chart, MAR and Kardex on each patient
admitted. Adds documentation forms to chart as needed. Ensures each
form is properly labeled.
* Assists provider in obtaining medical records and diagnostic
* Currently enrolled and in good standing in an accredited school
of nursing, required.
* 1+ years of nursing school completed, preferred.
* Current BLS certification through the American Heart Association,
You are worth more than a paycheck. Our Benefits Raise the Bar:
* 401(k) with an employer match up to 9%
* Paid Time Off
* Employee Stock Purchase Program
* Employee Discount Program
* Medical, Dental, Vision, Flex Spending, Life, Disability
* And much more!
An EEO/AA Employer M/F/V/D. Tobacco Free Campus
Our Company's recruiters are here to help unlock the next
possibility within your career and we take your candidate
experience very seriously. During the recruitment process, no
recruiter or employee will request financial or personal
information (Social Security Number, credit card or bank
information, etc.) from you via email. The recruiters will not
email you from a public webmail client like Gmail or Yahoo Mail. If
you feel suspicious of a job posting or job-related email, let us
know by clicking here.
For questions about your job application or this site please
contact HCAhrAnswers at 1-844-422-5627 option 1.
Keywords: Central Florida Regional Hospital, Sanford , Nurse Extern PRN, Healthcare , Sanford, Florida
Didn't find what you're looking for? Search again!